Saturday, 3 January 2015

Sheeple Holidaying (pt. 3)

Well, I'm finally up to the part where the name of this/these [originally supposed to be one long] post/s came from.

I initially was incredibly excited about New Zealand. Exploring, discovering, experiencing it's beauty and culture. This was soon to be broken down into mild eagerness as I discovered we were taking a tour.

Sheeple holidaying.

'Sheeple' is a compound word. 'Sheep' and people' combine to make a term describing those who blindly follow with others without questioning or thinking for themselves.

I'm not too happy about the idea of being bundled up in a big bus and being shuttled from place to place. It will not allow for me to explore as far as I want to my satisfaction. What is the point of buying an expensive air ticket to take you to a place which you cannot explore to your satisfaction?

 I protested against the tour, to which my father replied "Well,  how are we going to get around? What if we get lost? "

When I told him that was what the point of public transport was,  and that we spoke fluent English-or at least, I do, he laughed.

"It's not that easy." He replied.

I do not believe him. For the convenience of tourists,  the government surely would've arranged for good public transport to tourist hotspots. I speak fluent English as well- I cannot understand how it can get any easier than that. Extensive planning and research beforehand would've made it so. I am willing to do that.

Yet here I am instead-sheeple travelling in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment