Thursday, 1 January 2015

Sheeple holidaying (pt. 1)

My family rarely travels. I've been on an aeroplane three times in my sixteen years,  and none of those trips more than a measly three hours to an adjacent state. I haven't gone on a cruise either. I haven't gone overseas at all.

This lack of holidaying has two primary causes: 1. My father is generally always working- we are from the working class- and never chose to take holidays off so he could work more and 2. My mum is very much a homebody. She doesn't like travelling anywhere. Beaches, Blue Mountains,  anywhere- you name it, she'll say she'd rather be home.

In 2010, both of my sisters and my grandmother flew to Cambodia for a month. They attended a wedding and did some sightseeing,  staying with relatives. My mother, the bitch, deemed me too young and irresponsible,  unable to take care of myself without her aid. So there I missed a great travelling opportunity.

We'd have random interstate travelling when the family was younger and no one was intensely preoccupied with exams and education. My father was and is a huge fan of The Blue Mountains,  so we did a lot a trekking there.

Maybe too much. Now I'm sick of the Blue Mountains.  You say Blue Mountains,  I'll think 'not bloody again.'

I'm acutely aware of how selfish this is given the primary circumstance which has made me travel so little-but I'm incredibly angry about it all and wish I could go travelling more. I want to go travelling. See rarely touched places, explore small towns,  wonder in big cities. Expand my thoughts and see how others across the world live. See places. Observe countries.

So excuse me for being selfish, but my youth will only last so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment