It's very possible to live years of your life without touching anything live and natural.
Does that not scare you? Show you how disconnected we have grown from nature? And even those who do have the opportunity to immerse themselves into nature, often do not, pushing it aside in favour of work.
Personally, I do, because I have a pet dog, enjoy gardening and sit on grass during recess and lunch, should the weather allow. But it's so easy for anyone to live without touching anything live and natural (other than themselves and another human. But even with that, it's so easy to not touch another human for years at all, even when you're in the midst of many of them.)
I wake up, stepping on the laquered wooden floor and prepare for school. I brush my teeth, put on my uniform-nothing live or natural. Going downstairs, I step my feet on tiles grab my food and water, and soon leave for school wearing shoes on pavement.
My entire commute to school takes me through an urban environment, where I do not touch anything live and natural, other than humans. The chicken in my sandwich has been dead for a while.
School. I sit on the grass during morning and recess, but I could just as easily have not. I don't when the weather is not pleasant.
My commute home is just the same as it was in the morning-urban environment, no contact with live natural things.
When I was younger, I would play outside after dinner-this meant I could be barefoot on grass, but work does not permit that anymore. Instead, I go upstairs to work. Then I sleep. The cycle repeats.
Now that I think about it, I'm not that I'm touch with anything live and natural at all. My gardening takes place mainly on the weekends, and I only see my dog on the weekend.
It's scary isn't it? It's possible for humans to live years without touching anything live and natural.
What have we come to? Will this disconnection from nature harm us at all in the long run?
No comments:
Post a Comment