Friday, 20 June 2014

Life update: My fitness(or lack of it) and I

My motivation to do something about my ailing fitness levels has been steadily increasing as of late last year.

Maybe it was the discovery of a medical condition which, unless I did something about my health and body weight, could put my fertility at risk.

Or maybe it was finding I could fit into a pair of shorts which I previously had gained too much weight to even button up, now able to be worn (albeit some slight tightness around the thighs.)

Maybe it was just me being fed up of being unfit- I did feel like I was betraying myself and my youth by not even approaching my physical potential.

Whatever the factors behind my increased motivation, I know that my fitness has been improving and my stomach has slightly flattened out. Whilst sub-par compared to others, I know it has improved since I have started taking consistent action about it. I am very proud of myself.

The main faults with my previous attempts (on and off the past two or three years) was primarily inconsistently. The attempts were initiated in the holidays and ended as the school term begun. Some weeks I would exercise nearly everyday, some weeks saw none of it.

The attempt I took this time was different, because I started it during the school term. Whilst navigating my way through early mornings and late nights was initially a problem, I found motivation to exercise on both days of the weekends.

After a few months of juggling around my timetable, I  now cycle once a week, and run two to three times a week. This does not include PE sessions at school. Whilst not a lot, I am looking forward to cram more exercise sessions around my timetable soon. I have also recently (about a month) started doing some basic muscle things before I sleep, with emphasis on upper body strength, for I have nearly none of that.

I've been feeling the positive effects, such as:

  • my actions and movements are lighter 
  • It takes longer for me to tire out, in both general day to day life, and during physical activity
  • I look at running as part of a life routine thing rather than just "something I have to do so I can look at myself and not bow my head in shame."
  • Eating bad food isn't as frightening as it is before that I know I will be exercising soon anyway. I have been careful however, to not let that become a bad habit.


Not all effects of my lifestyle change has been so eagerly and quickly welcomed however. With greater general energy output, my metabolism has definitely sped up, resulting in greater demand for energy-food.

Being one who has never eaten much and always associated food consumption with weight gain, this is admittedly terrifying. Having never had such a great demand for food, I don't know where to pull the line, or how to deal with random food cravings.

To deal with this, I bring a packet of gum and a small packet of assorted pistachios and almonds to school with me, hopefully to quell any sort of temptation. Although not the most successful recently due to the increasing multitude of fund raising chocolate(formal season is approaching) lying around school, I have slowly gotten better at it. Unless someone is selling Caramello Koalas... But I will get better at it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment