Wednesday, 16 July 2014

"Are you a virgin?"

Is a question I've been asked before, immediately followed up by "what's your number?"

I found out that what this girl was asking me was whether I was sexually active, and how many people I had had sex with.

We were talking about sex. My attitudes to it was a little more liberal than hers, so I'm guessing she asked me "are you a virgin? What's your number?" because she was expecting only someone who could have had sex before, could have had such liberal, easy-going views on it.

Truth is, I'm not sure if I have liberal views on the entirety of sex. I'm fact, I don't even know the exact definition of "sex," and the more I try to seek answers, the more confusing the social concept of "keeping one's virginity" and just virginity as a whole, becomes.

Growing up, I was told, socially, that you were a virgin until the moment you had sex. What "sex" was, was something between a man and a woman. A penis was repeatedly thrusted inside a vaginal opening. The moment the penis entered, both the man and the woman had lost their virginity.

Growing up, I heard more definitions.

"It's an act of love between two people."

"The thing a man and a woman do when they want to make babies and probably ruin their lives."

And the old "when a penis is thrust repeatedly into a vaginal opening."

Those the definitions are the must common ones I have heard. I find fault in all three of them.

This blog post is turning out to be really lengthy, a good, hearty discussion with myself. For this reason, I will split it up. In the next post, I will explain my faults with the common definitions that I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment